Diwali….the “festival of lights”, is one of the most important festivals for Indians. It is celebrated in high spirits by lighting diyas (lamps) , bursting crackers and sharing sweets and snacks with friends and relatives. Today i have for you all one of the common savories made during Diwali ..that’s ” Butter Murukku / Benne Murukku ” . These butter murukku are soft yet crunchy with a lovely flavour of butter . Crispy , crunchy , they are indeed very addictive that one just can’t stop munching them ….
Chakli is a savory snack that can be prepared many ways. The traditional way of making it, calls for washing , drying of rice and urad dal. Then powder it in mixer or flour mill. Uff.. so much work..Usually my mom makes this chakkuli powder and gives me every year for janmashtami . For the typical chakkuli recipe see here . I have also shared moong dal chakli and instant rava chakli . But for today i have the super easy butter or benne murukku for you all . These are usually common during Diwali as they are very easy to make , easy to distribute and usually everyone’s favorite . I am sure most of us would have grown up eating it . Now you too can make it in your kitchen and surprise your Mom and kids.. its really very easy … Unlike other chakli ‘s this doesn’t call for any shaping . Just make a dough and press directly to oil . Let they come out any shape no problem .. since they are soft .. the strands usually break while flipping in oil . Haha .. anyways end of the day … let it be any chakli we break and eat only right ? So forget about the shape . . just enjoy these delicious butter murukku . Do try them this Diwali … i m sure even a beginner will have no fuss making these butter chaklis,with this recipe in hand… here you go ….
Check Out the Video recipe here :
BUTTER MURUKKU RECIPE / BENNE MURUKKU RECIPE / BUTTER CHAKLI RECIPE
- 1 Cup Rice flour
- 1/4 Cup Chutney dal /Roasted gram dal / (hurikadle / pottukadalai)
- 1/4 Cup Besan/ Gram flour /Chickpea Flour
- 2-3 tsp Butter
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds / jeera seeds
- a big pinch Hing /Asafetida
- Salt to taste
- Red chilli powder, optional
Powder chutney dal in a mixer. Transfer to a mixing bowl .
To the mixing bowl . Add all other ingredients one by one i.e Rice flour , besan , salt , hing , jeera , hing and butter . Mix everything thoroughly without adding water until butter is incorporated well .
Add water in small batches to form a soft pliable dough.Knead well.
- Now heat the oil in a kadai / pan.
While the oil is getting hot, grease the chakli mould and fix the plate shown in pic to chakli mould . Divide the dough into parts . Add one part of the dough to the mould & press .
- Once oil is hot , Press the chaklis directly into hot oil .. giving random shapes . Cook on medium flame . Stir in between and flip . Once done, remove from oil and transfer to a paper towel.
Store the butter murukku / benne murukku in air tight containers once cooled. Remains fresh for 1 month.
- If you want can add chilli powder .
- Check the oil readiness by dropping a small ball of dough into the oil. It has to come up immediately. This shows that oil has attained the right temperature n you can gently slide the chakli.
- While dropping the prepared chaklis, the flame should be high,once they float to to top,reduce the flame to medium or medium low flame and fry till they become crisp.