Scorching summer is just round the corner …Cooling body naturally with natural cooling food is the best way to beat the summer heat. So today i have for you all a refreshing , soothing and a very healthy summer cooler “Green Gram juice / Moong Juice / Hesarukalu juice” . As the name suggests .. green gram is the star ingredient of this green gram juice . This is very apt to cool your body naturally during summer . With no artificial color / preservatives .. this green gram juice is one of the best healthy summer juice… any day best than the sodas and ready store bought juices .
We always wonder “how come our ancestors were so fit and full of zeal? “. We on the other hand , once we cross 30’s start complaining of so many health issues.One of the reason for that is : our ancestors were very clever and hardworking. What we call now as organic was very common in their backyards.There was no term called processed or packaged food. Today’s recipe Green gram juice / hesarukalu juice is one such very traditional South Karnataka / Udupi dish which our granny’s have been making from many years . As guessed,this traditional recipe is passed to me from my mom .Publishing simple,easy,home cooked healthy dishes serves the sole purpose of this blog. Do try this healthy proteinicious drink .. i am sure you would love it .. here you go …
You can also try some other summer coolers like belada hannina panaka, ABC juice , Watermelon refresher , Cucumber mint cooler etc …
GREEN GRAM JUICE RECIPE / MOONG JUICE / HESARUKALU JUICE RECIPE
- 1 cup Green Gram /hara moong
- 1/4 cup coconut, grated
- 3/4 cup Jaggery
- 3-4 nos Cardamom
- Water As required
- Heat a skillet, add in green gram and saute them for few minutes on medium heat until they give nice aroma . Remove off heat. This step helps in reducing the raw flavour of green gram.
- Transfer the roasted green gram to a mixer and dry grind it to make a course powder .
- To the coarse moong powder , add in grated coconut and cardamom . Add water and make a smooth paste
- Strain the mix using strainer. Press the puree nicely using a back of a laddle to extract the juice nicely . Put the leftover ground moong paste collected in the sieve back to the mixer jar , add water and grind few more times . Strain it and again grind it smooth adding little water .
- Repeat the steps 2-3 times .. till you try to extract almost all the juice from the ground moong paste . Discard the pulp.
- To the extracted moong juice .. add water to get desired consistency , grated jaggery and mix .
- Green gram juice is ready to serve . Serve it as such or served chilled . Stays well in fridge for a week and can be consumed as and when required .