Green Tomato Curry recipe with step by step photos | Green Tomato Gojju | Kayi Tomato Gojju
Green Tomato Curry / Kayi Tomato Gojju is a super easy and very tasty side dish made from green tomatoes in less than 20 minutes . Perfect blend of spiciness , tartness and a tinge of sweetness making it an excellent side dish with anything & everything . Be it chapathi / Ubbu Rotti / Dosa/ Rice etc. .. green tomato gojju tastes super yum !
Hero of the day for today’s curry is raw green tomatoes. It has been sitting in my draft since last summer, as that’s when Green tomatoes are abundantly available in the market. The raw green tomatoes are usually very tart in taste as compared to Ripe Red Tomatoes and hence no extra tamarind has been added to it.
I had earlier shared north Karnataka style green tomato chutney and today let’s see how to make curry out of it.
Few Points to note while making Green Tomato Curry :
- Dice tomatoes little big cubes as they add nice chunky texture to the curry once after it’s cooked.
- Do not skip methi seeds and hing . They add a great flavor.
- I usually don’t add onion or garlic to this curry, as i love the methi and hing flavor . However if you want , you can add.
- Increase or decrease the red chilli powder according to your spice level.
- This curry tastes best with a tinge of sweetness , spiciness and tartness from green tomatoes . So balance the spices accordingly and don’t skip jaggery.
Green Tomato Curry / Kayi Tomato Gojju
- 5-6 medium size Green Tomato / Kayi Tomato
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric / Haldi
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder / dhania powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin powder / jeera powder
- amla size Jaggery
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds / Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Methi seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida/ hing
- 1-2 no Red Chilli, broken
- few Curry leaves
- Wash and chop green tomato into big cubes.
- Heat oil in a pan. Temper Mustard , jeera and methi. Let they splutter.
- Once they splutter, add hing ,broken red chilli and few curry leaves.
- Add diced green tomatoes. Saute 1-2 mins.
- To the sauteed tomatoes, add salt ,chilli powder,haldi, jaggery , jeera powder and dhania powder . Combine everything.
- Add 1.5-2 cup water . Cover and cook for 8-10 mins or till tomatoes are cooked soft.
- After few minutes , check if tomatoes are cooked and have turned soft . Curry would have got nice texture.Taste test
- Enjoy kayi tomato gojju or green tomato curry with rice / chapathi / roti .