Kothu Parotta recipe with step by step photos | How to do veg Kothu Parotta
Few days before i had posed a tomato salna recipe .. remember ?? In continuation to the post , today i have for you all a dish called ” Kothu Parotta ” made using Kerala Parotta, Salna and Egg / Meat / vegetables. Kothu Parotta actually means ‘minced’ Parotta .There are many variations of Kothu parotta- egg / meat / chicken / veg version etc. Today of course i will be sharing with you all the recipe for ” Veg Kothu Parotta ” . Its yummy,delicious and Perfect for breakfast, dinner or as a snack….
The first time I had this dish was long back in a small road-side shop in Chennai . Watching the street vendors making it, is itself a lovely sight . The ingredients are thrown on a greased hot cast iron griddle .They are later minced and mixed by repeated pounding using 2 heavy iron spatula.
Salna is very important ingredient here. I have shown the actual way of doing kothu parotta. But if you want to make it jiffy , you can skip making salna and just spicen up your kothu parrotta with some chilli powder , garam masala powder and chat masala .
As now a days , ready made Kerala parottas are available almost everywhere , making kothu parotta at home is so so easy . Do try this recipe for sure.. i’m confident that you will just love it .
Few points to note while making Kothu Parotta Recipe :
- I have used ready made ID brand kerala parotta . If you want can make in home too .
- If you want can apply the same recipe to left over chapathi too.
- If you don’t have time to make Salna , you can skip and instead make kothu parotta quickly using the short cut method ie once tomato becomes mushy add a tsp of red chilli powder , garam masala powder and little chat masala to it and saute. Later add minced parotta
But before you try ..let me WARN .. this dish is heavy , takes in little more oil and highly irresistible. So if you are on a mission weight loss watch out .. don’t blame me later.. He He….!!!
Veg Kothu Parotta
- 4 nos Kerala Parotta / malabar parotta
- 1/2 cup Salna
- 2 medium onion, sliced
- 1 big tomato, chopped
- 1 small capsicum, optional ; but preferred
- 1/2 cup Mixed veggies - beans , carrot , peas etc , optional
- 1 - 2 nos Green Chillies, sliced
- a big pinch Turmeric / Haldi powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli, powder
- 1/2 tsp Pepper, powder
- few Curry Leaves
- handful Coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
Heat a tawa / griddle . Roast the kerala parotta by adding a tsp of oil.
Roast and stack all the Parottas .
Chop them/ shred into small pieces roughly using a knife or kitchen scissors. i used knife .
Heat Oil in the pan. Add green chilli, curry leaves and onion. Saute till light brown.
Add tomato and capsicum . Add little salt.Saute till tomato is mushy.
- Now add finely chopped vegetables and saute for 3-4 mins till veggies are cooked or you can precook them partially and add .
When the vegetables are sauted well, add turmeric powder , chilli powder . Mix
Add the Salna (Gravy) and remaining salt . Stir for a second.
Now add the shredded parotta pieces . Mix it really well . Nicely mash and pound the parotta pieces with your dosa flipper such that they get minced nicely and get coated to the spices well. If required add more oil / salna .
Finally add pepper powder and Saute well till it is slightly roasted.
Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot .