Today i have colorful and yummilicious chutney for you all ” Pumpkin Chutney “. Its known as Kumbalakai chutney in Kannada & Parangikai Chutney in Tamil .This Pumpkin chutney is quick , easy to prepare and a nice change from the regular coconut / tomato chutneys. Most of us don’t like pumpkin .. so pumpkin chutney is a good way to sneak in this veggie .
Recently … one of my neighbor had given lots of homegrown pumpkin . They were so fresh and looked organic . But my kids are not a fan of Pumpkin .. so making sambar of it is of no use as they will hardly eat the veggie . Then remembered about of this pumpkin Chutney . the best part of Pumpkin is you can make so many dishes out of it and almost all its parts are useful . We can roast the seeds and eat , peel can be used in making chutney , Rind can be used in making tamblil etc …
Coming back to today’s Pumpkin Chutney , my mom always used to make them using some pumpkin peels and inner flesh . But here .. since i had lots of pumpkin.. i have used them instead of the peels . You can do however you want . You can make this chutney with or without coconut too.If your family hates pumpkin ..and you are wondering how to include them in your menu.. this pumpkin chutney is probably one of the best ways to do so . You can relish this chutney for few days without getting bored..tastes awesome with steamed rice , dosa , idli , chapathi…And yes did i say .. my kids relished this chutney with some rice and ghee .. Do try this chutney for sure …U will enjoy its taste and goodness of pumpkin .. Here you go…
- 1 cup pumpkin
- 1 no Green Chilly
- 1 small cup coconut, (optional but add atleast few spoons )
- 2 tsp Black Gram Urad Dal
- 1 tsp Bengal Gram Chana Dal
- 6-8 nos Red Chillies, (As per spice level)
- A pinch Turmeric Haldi
- A pinch Hing
- lemon size Tamarind
- Little Jaggery
- Salt as per taste
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- Few Curry Leaves
- 1 - 2 tsps Coconut oil / cooking oil
Cut the pumpkin , remove the seeds , peel the skins if you want and dice pumpkins to big chunks . If you want you can just use peels to make this chutney / use both / peel off skin n discard .
Transfer the chopped pumpkin into a vessel . Add some water and green chillies and cook on medium flame till pumpkins are done . This might take some 8-10 Mins. Allo pumpkins to cool .
Meanwhile, heat oil in a small pan. When oil is hot, add urad dal ,chana dal ,hing & red chillies fry till dal turns golden. Turn off the heat, add coconut & let it cool completely.
Transfer the fried masala, cooked pumpkin ,coconut ,tamarind and salt to a mixer / blender. Grind to a smooth paste...but don't make super smooth. Taste test .
- Prepare the tempering .Heat oil in a small pan. When oil is hot, add mustard and curry leaves. Now pour this tempering on grounded chutney .
Serve Pumpkin chutney with hot rice / idli / dosa / chapathi etc . Stays good for 3-4 days in fridge .
- Pumpkin Chutney is ready to serve... Enjoy with Steamed rice ( with ghee / coconut oil ) / Dosa / Idli / etc ....
- If you don't like hing , you can flavor the chutney with little onion / ginger . Add few pieces of it while roasting masala. Fry well and grind. But i would prefer roasting with hing ...
- I use coconut oil for this ..
- Don't make this chutney too paste like texture.