Togari Bele Chutney Recipe with Step by Step photos | How to do Toor Dal Chutney | Tuvar Dal Chutney recipe
Today I have for you all one simple satisfying dish from Karnataka Cuisine which tastes awesome as a side dish with Hot Rice, Dosa, Idli, chapati etc. Perfectly roasted dal, with some chillis, curry leaves and an extra dash of hing .. that aroma. aah ..smells so good. Hot rice mixed with a spoon full of this chutney and little coconut oil… trust me..Bliss !!
Growing up whenever my mom would go out of the station, my dad would make this Togari bele Chutney / Tuvar Dal Chutney ..as it’s one of my favourites and also it’s one of the most simplest dish to cook for him. Within 10 mins .. a bowl of super tasty chutney would be ready and I would enjoy it with hot rice drizzled with little coconut oil/ghee. The taste of it still lingers in my taste buds. This chutney tastes amazing with matta rice Ganji too.
If you have ever been to some temples in Udupi region for lunch … I am sure you would have tasted this chutney sometime. Do try this authentic Udupi style Togari bele chutney and enjoy …
Few simple points to note while making this Togari bele Chutney are as follows :
- Always remember to grind tuvar dal chutney little coarse .. making too paste wouldn’t taste that good.
- Try not to skip Coconut oil ..tastes amazing and you will get the perfect authentic taste. If not use at least Ghee.
TOGARI BELE CHUTNEY RECIPE / TOOR DAL ( TUVAR DAL) CHUTNEY / KANDI PACHADI
- 1/4 cup Tuvar Dal / Togari Bele
- 1/2 cup coconut, grated
- 3-6 nos Red Chilli, Byadgi + guntur - for color n spice
- few Curry Leaves
- 1/4 tsp Hing
- a small lemon sized Tamarind
- little Jaggery
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Oil / coconut oil, for roasting
- 1 tsp Mustard
- 1-2 tsp Oil / coconut oil
- few Curry Leaves
Roast Tuvar dal, chillies and curry leaves on medium flame till with a tsp of oil .
When dal is golden and chillis are crisp .. add hing . .toss and switch off . Allow it to cool .
Grind roasted spices with coconut , tamarind , jaggery and salt adding little water .
Don't grind too smooth . It should be little coarse and you should feel the texture .
- Transfer Chutney to a serving bowl . Temper it with mustard , curry leaves .
Tasty togari bele chutney is ready . Enjoy with rice / dosa / idli .