Today i have for you all a seasonal special – Raw Jackfruit curry recipe with step by step photos . This curry is basically a kerala style dish where Raw jackfruit cooked in an aromatic masala and coconut milk and the end result is an awesome combination of flavor and texture…tastes just divine with a bowl of rice …
Raw jack fruit , an exotic vegetable in India is known as Kathal ( hindi ) / Halasinakayi ( Kannada ) / Panasakaya ( telugu ) / pala musu ( tamil ) / kadagi ( konkani) / chakka etc across various states . It has a great texture , flavor and is a very good dietary fiber source for vegetarians . Since it’s seasonal , every year .. I try to add some new recipe here. I have already shared before Udupi style Raw jackfruit stir fry , raw jack fruit pulao , raw jackfruit sambar and now its jackfruit Raw Jackfruit curry recipe .
But the most boring and time consuming part in jackfruit is its cleaning and cutting. Once that’s taken care of, Making any dish is just a step away.Do follow this video and give a try. Cutting at home is actually not that difficult afterall the end result is worth all the trouble ????
It so happens that whenever i get my hands on raw jackfruit , i normally end up making all the traditional authentic stuff that i had grown up eating . But this time , the blogger in me decided to try something new . Casually i had posted in Insta stories asking for recommendation and was overwhelmed to receive many . Out of them was this Kerala jackfruit curry recipe . After making Raw jackfruit sambar , i kept aside another half for my experimentation. I tweaked the recipe a little and made it suitable as per my family needs . And wow !! It became an absolute superhit . Since then , it has become a regular at my place . Do give a try .. i am sure you too will love it . Tangy , spicy , little sweetish … it tastes amazing .
RAW JACKFRUIT CURRY RECIPE / KERALA STYLE JACKFRUIT CURRY / KATHAL CURRY
- 250 gms raw jackfruit / halasina kayi
- 1 medium size onion, sliced
- 1 medium size tomato, chopped
- 4-6 flakes Garlic, crushed
- small piece Ginger, finelly chopped
- 2 nos Green Chilli
- few Curry Leaves
- 2-4 tsp Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek seeds /methi
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric/ Haldi
- 1 tsp Coriander powder / Dhania powder
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1/4 tsp Pepper powder
- 1 tsp tamarind / kokum
- 1 cup coconut milk
- small piece Jaggery
- Salt to taste
- When we cut Jack fruit , a thick "milk" oozes from it. This is sticky in nature and stains. So without forgetting ,before cutting rub generous amount of coconut oil to your hand and grease the cutting knife too.
- Cut the raw jack fruit into half and later into medium size long pieces.Remove outer thorny green skin and the center stalk part.
- Cut the clean jackfruit into small pieces and put them into water immediately,else they will dis color. Leave it in water for 5 mins. You can observe that the water would be little brownish now. Discard that water.
- Heat oil in a kadai/pan. Add in mustard and fenugreek seeds and let them splutter . Add curry leaves , green chillies and saute for a min . Add some sliced onion 's , ginger - garlic paste and saute till translucent .
- Add tomatoes and saute till mushy .
- Now lower the flame and add in chilli powder , pepper powder, coriander powder , haldi and salt . Saute this on low heat for around 2-3 mins.
- Add raw jack fruit pieces and saute for 1-2 mins
- Add tamarind water , coconut milk and jaggery . Mix . Bring to boil . Pressure cook on low flame for 3-4 whistles till it's nicely cooked and taken in all the flavors . If you have more time can cook directly on low flame .
- Finally drizzle in a tsp of coconut oil on top
- Raw jack fruit curry is ready . Enjoy with rice
Nithya KrishnanApril 26, 2018 at 4:03 am
I got some tender raw jackfruit from frozen section and wondered what to do with it. I will definitely try this one.
i am sure it will taste awesome with bowl of rice like you mentioned. 🙂
Ishaan BaseevJune 26, 2018 at 9:42 pm
This looks like a tulu nadu recipe. I like it 🙂