It’s that time of the year , when Jack fruit has started entering the market . But hey wait , it’s not a recipe from Ripe jack fruit i am sharing today but a dish using raw tender Jack fruit .Raw jack fruit , an exotic vegetable in India is known as Kathal ( hindi ) / Halasinakayi ( Kannada ) / Panasakaya ( telugu ) / pala musu ( tamil ) / kadagi ( konkani) / chakka etc across various states . It has a great texture , flavor and is a very good dietary fiber source for vegetarians . But unfortunately not many people are aware that many delicacies can be made from raw jack fruit . So today here i am sharing Mysore style ” Raw Jack fruit Sambar ” …. an awesome combination of flavor and texture…tastes just divine…
Do you rememeber that last jackfruit season , i had shared raw jackfruit stir fry and raw jackfruit sambar ? You might ask me now if jackfruit sambar is already shared why am i reposting it again now ? Hmm… though the names are same , both the recipes are entirely different .
The earlier one was a Mangalore – Udupi style Gujje Sambar and this time its Mysore -Bangalore style ” Raw jackfruit Sambar ” . Both the recipes are unique and tastes equally good in thier own way . Do try for yourself and i am sure you too will be in dilemma like me which to rate high ??
Forget the time spent on cleaning process… the end result is worth it…But the most boring and time consuming part in jackfruit is its cleaning and cutting. Once that’s taken care of, Making any dish is just a step away.Do follow this video and give a try. Cutting at home is actually not that difficult afterall the end result is worth all the trouble ????
RAW JACKFRUIT SAMBAR
- 1/2 kg tender raw jackfruit, Medium sized
- 1 - 3 fistful black chickpeas, Soaked
- 1 cup Split pigeon pea /Tuvar dal
- 1/2 cup coconut, Grated fresh
- big lemon size Tamarind
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Haldi
- to taste Salt
To Roast ( Masala )
- 11/2 tsp Coriander Seeds Dhania
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek seeds methi
- 1 tsp Black Gram Urad Dal
- 1/4 tsp Bengal Gram Chana Dal
- 5 - 10 Red Chillies, ; (As per your spice level ; i add 8 mix both kasmiri n spicy variety)
- Or you can omit this and instead use Readymade sambar Powder -
- 2-3 tbsp Sambar powder
- 1 tsp + 1 tsp Ghee / oil, - for roasting masala
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- Curry Leaves
- When we cut Jack fruit , a thick "milk" oozes from it. This is sticky in nature and stains. So without forgetting ,before cutting , rub generous amount of coconut oil to your hand and grease the cutting knife too.
- Cut the raw jack fruit into half and later into medium size long pieces.Remove outer thorny green skin and the center stalk part.
- Cut raw jack fruit into bite size pieces and put them into water immediately,else they will dis color. Leave it in water for 5 mins. You can observe that the water would be little brownish now. Discard that water.
- Add haldi and cook jack fruit pieces in cooker for 1-2 whistles. If its fresh it will not take much time to cook ( 1 whistle is enough ).
- Soak black channa in water for 6-8 hours. Later pressure cook soaked channa seperately till they are done 85 %.
- Meanwhile ,wash the toor dal ,add turmeric and cook for 3 - 4 whistles with 2 cup of water. Mash the cooked dal and keep aside.
- Now,lets roast the masala.In a small pan add few drops of oil.Add all the ingredients mentioned under masala .Roast them on medium low flame till red chillies becomes crisp and dal turns golden color.Transfer all the ingredients to a mixer jar.
- Add coconut,tamarind and salt.Grind to a fine paste ( don't make super smooth ) .
- Transfer cooked jackfruit , cooked blak chick peas , cooked dal and grounded masala to a vessel . Add some water and mix well . Keep it on medium flame and bring to boil. Taste test. Switch off.
- Temper .Add a spoon of oil. When its hot add mustard . Once they splutter add curry leaves .Switch off. Pour it over sambar.
- Serve piping hot Tender Raw Jackfruit Sambar with steaming rice .