Is there any one out there who doesn’t like Iyengar bakery goodies ? I am sure not even a single hand raised . Though there are many bakeries in every nook and corner of Karnataka , Iyengar bakery still remains in the top slot . Iyengar bakery toast , dilpasand , honey cake ,potato bun ,veg puff … are something that will surely pull you towards it . The aroma that spreads when these goodies are getting baked .. aaha.. i am getting nostalgic. So today i have for you all iyengar bakery special .. my all time favorite .. Baked Nipattu / Savory Onion Crackers … a perfect healthy tea time snack …
I have already shared recipe of fried nipattu long time back . That is the authentic way of making it and this is the bakery-style . Both the recipes are completely different. Tastewise there is no comparison ..both are equally tasty but if you tell me to choose 1 among them it would surely be this baked nippattu. Baking is indeed a healthy choice when compared to deep frying . The very reason i took oven was to bake many savories . So one fine day when i thought of trying this bakery-style baked nippattu from here , i was so so happy with the outcome. Wow !! The crackers had turned out almost the same to the ones they sell in the Iyengar bakeries. It was spicy with mild sweetness, crispy and so full of flavours. My hubby just couldn’t believe they were homemade ones. I too was on cloud nine.. i had nailed it in my first attempt . That says how easy this recipe is. Since then i have made them atleast 7-8 times and each time I make, the containers are getting emptied sooner than i anticipated. Hehe …. Go ahead friends .. do give a try and be prepared to get loads and loads of accolades …
Do check the detailed recipe here :
BAKERY STYLE BAKED NIPPATTU RECIPE
- 2 cups Maida All purpose flour
- 6 tbsps Oil
- 4 tbsps Butter, (melted )
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tbsp Milk powder, (optional )
- 4 tsp White sesame seeds
- 1 big onion, finely chopped
- 3 - 4 Green Chillies, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Pepper powder, ( optional )
- few Coriander leaves
- few Curry Leaves
- 2 tsps Sugar
- to taste Salt
- 1/4 cup Warm Water, (less than 1/4 cup)
- Take maida , oil and butter in a bowl .Mix nicely with the tips of your fingers.It will become like breadcrumb.
- To the flour add milk powder, baking soda, salt ,sugar , pepper powder , sesame seeds, onion, green chillies , coriander leaves and curry leaves . Mix the ingredients nicely with your hand .
- Add warm water slowly in steps and make a tight dough .Even if you feel dough is very tight , don't add water now.When the dough rests for few minutes , moisture from onion will make the dough a bit loose . So remember not to add extra water .
- Knead the dough well ,cover and keep aside for 10-15 mins .
- Meanwhile preheat the oven at 180 deg c for 10 mins .
- Once the resting time for dough is over , divide the dough into lemon sized balls .Take 1 ball, place it in between 2 thick greased plastic sheets and roll gently to form a poori size thin disc . Alternatively , if you have a roti maker / press , you can keep a ball between the sheets and gently press to get a thin disc .
- Gently place the nippattu on a greased baking tray .Poke the nipattu with a fork randomly to avoid fluffing up.
- Continue with the remaining dough in a similar way .
- Bake the nipattu for about 15-20 mins in 170 deg c . Midway flip once after 10 mins . Once done, place them on a cooling rack to cool .
- That's it .. crispy yummy baked nippattu is all yours. Store in air tight containers . Stays crisp for atleat 15-20 days .
- If you want you can add 1 cup maida and 1 cup wheat flour instead of 2 cup maida.
- Making a stiff yet soft dough is very important . Else the nipattus will not become crisp . So be careful while adding water .
- Rolling the nippattu thin is important for crispiness . Also it has to be uniform .
- To get perfect circle , after you roll or press , you can cut out a neat circle with a suitable size lid . I am very lazy here and usually skip it .
- keep an eye towards the end of baking time.. they burn easily .
- You can also add roasted crushed peanuts / mint leaves / any other herbs / spice powder .
- If you want can omit onion .