Coconut chutney or kayi chutney needs no intro to any south Indian.Its a very common accompaniment for most south Indian breakfast and snack dishes.Though its a very simple dish,recipe can vary from house to house, the variations are quite mild and almost follow the same ingredients.
Here’s the recipe for coconut chutney – hotel style from my kitchen to yours !!!
COCONUT CHUTNEY - HOTEL STYLE
- 1 cup coconut, Grated
- 2 tbsps chutney dal / Roasted bengal gram/ Hurigadale
- 3 - 4 Green chilies, +/- based on your preferance
- 1/2 tsp Tamarind pulp
- 2 - 3 strands Coriander leaves
- Salt, as per taste
- 1 - 2 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 Red Chilly, (optional)
- 1/4 tsp urad dal , (optional)
- few Curry Leaves
- Transfer all the ingredients for the chutney (other than the ones mentioned in the tempering) in a blender ,wet grind to smooth consistency..
- Heat oil in a small pan. Add the mustard seeds. When they splutter,urad dal & chana dal. Fry till the dal becomes brown.
Then add the curry leaves, red chili and asafoetida. Fry for a minute. Immediately pour the tempering on the coconut chutney. Chutney is ready to be served.Best accompaniment with Dosa,Paniyaram,adai and idly.
Above is the Bangalore/ Mysore/ Tamilnadu / Andra version of the coconut chutney. Mangalore/ Kerala version of Coconut chutney is a little different - will post that version soon .
- An important note to be made here is the coconut. Use freshly grated coconut - frozen is ok- but fresh ones make such a huge difference.
- In the above recipe, i have used coriander leaves for flavoring. You can change the taste of the chutney by changing the flavoring ingredient. You can add ginger / garlic / anything you like. Even plain chutney minus the flavoring ingredient tastes good. Experiment this and share with me .