Today i have an easy , simple and yummy variety rice that’s very apt for your lunch box /if you are looking ways to clear left over rice / when you want to cook something in a jiffy….. Yes friends, if you have cooked rice and curry leaves chutney powder ready , making this healthy colorful ” Curry leaves Rice ” hardly takes 10 minutes …. These curry leaves rice is not just colorful but very healthy and delicious too ….
Is there any South Indian Cuisine that does not use Curry leaves in its tempering? These leaves infuse a wonderful flavor to any dish they touch and make their presence felt. In spite of being a key seasoning ingredient it is most often discarded while eating .Result , nutrient rich herb that is so good for health,never gets eaten. So i always stock my pantry with Curry leaves chutney powder and add few tsp of it while making some south indian curry / poriyal / salad / poha / this curry leaves rice . This chutney pudi ensures that you actually ingest all the good qualities of the curry leaf enjoying its taste equally.. These type of spice powders come very handy when you are lazy to cook or running out of time. Make once and enjoy them for next few days ..
Coming back to today’s curry leaves rice recipe…it’s one of my family’s favorite lunch box recipe . It’s a no onion no garlic recipe.. hence can be made on festivals too . If you don’t have curry leaves powder also no problem . you can make a small batch of it freshly and make these curry leaves rice . Its called as Karuveppilai sadam in Tamil and Karibevina anna in Kannada . So are you ready to quickly make a note of this jiffy recipe for Curry leaves Rice .. Do give a try and i am sure it will make a regular entry in your lunch box .. Here you go ..
Do check out curry leaves chutney too here …
CURRY LEAVES RICE RECIPE / KARUVEPPILAI SADAM / KARIBEVINA ANNA
- 1 cup Cooked Rice
- 2-3 tbsp Curry leaves chutney powder
- Lemon juice, optional
- Salt to taste
- Dry Coconut / Kopra, optional for garnishing
For the seasoning
- 3-4 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Black Gram /split Urad Dal
- 1 tsp Bengal Gram /split Chana Dal
- few Peanuts / cashews
- 2 nos broken Red Chilli
- few Curry Leaves
- Wash rice and cook it in the proportion 1 : 2 / 2.5 ie 1 glass rice ,2 glass water.The cooked rice grains should be separate,not mushy.Once cooked, spread the cooked rice on a wide plate.This will make the grains separate further & also helps to cool quickly.It has to be cooled properly before using.
In a kadai / pan heat oil . Once its hot add mustard, lentils ,peanuts / cashew . Once they splutter add curry leaves and broken red chilli .
Then add salt and curry leaves chutney powder
Saute for 1-2 mins . Our masala for curry leaves rice is ready .
Add cooked rice to the masala. Drizzle some lemon juice if you want and mix well . Taste test .
Simple , healthy and tasty Curry leaves rice is ready . Enjoy it with some papad / raita .
- Don't make the rice mushy . It will spoil the taste. Add few drops of ghee / oil and few drops of lemon while making rice for pulao . This will help the rice grains to remain separate .
- If you want you can add some veggies too .
- If you don't have curry leaves chutney powder . you can make masala powder freshly in small quantity as below ..