Pudina Thogayal recipe with step by step photos | How to do Pudina Thogayal | Pudina Chutney
Today i have for you all ” Pudina Thogayal / South Indian style Pudina Chutney ” one super healthy and tasty chutney from South India. Spicy flavorful Pudina Thogayal , hot rice plus some ghee / coconut oil on top .. now that’s what defines homely comforting food isn’t it ? One can enjoy it as a side dish both with rice or IDli dosa.
What is Thogayal ?
Thogayal is basically a traditional chutney made using fresh coconut along with dals and few chillies.Dal and chiilies are golden roasted along with some hing and later ground coarsely with coconut , tamarind and salt. One can make it plain or add some herbs like coriander leaves , curry leaves or pudina etc for extra taste and flavor.
One can enjoy it with dosa / idli or hot rice with a dash of coconut oil / ghee on top . Trust me i can finish my meal just with this !!
The chosen Thogayal for the day is Pudina Thogayal . Made with fresh mint leaves it tastes so delicious and super easy to make . Hardly takes 10 mins to make !! Love it with curd rice too .
Few points to note while making Pudina Thogayal :
- If you want your chutney to be green , instead of red chilli , use green chilli .
- If you don’t have coconut / don’t want add , please feel free to skip . Increase the quantity of lentil little to give some volume.
- Addition of jaggery is optional .
- Don’t skip Hing. It adds lots of flavor .
- Use Coconut oil to roast spices. Makes the chutney more flavorful. However , if you don’t use , you can use any oil or sesame oil or ground nut oil.
- Don’t grind the chutney too smooth. Small bits of pudina here and there makes it interesting and tastier.
- Tempering the thogayal towards the end is purely optional .
Here goes the easy, healthy & flavorful Pudina Thogayal Recipe …Do try
- 1 Cup Mint leaves / Pudina
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil / Any oil
- 1.5 tbsp Urad dal
- 1 tbsp Channa Dal / Bengal Gram
- 4-6 nos Red Chillies
- a big pinch Hing
- marble size Tamarind
- small piece Jaggery, optional
- Salt to taste
- Wash and pat dry the mint leaves and keep aside.
- Take a thick bottom Kadai or pan, heat 1 tbsp Coconut Oil.To the hot oil add urad dal , channa dal and red chillies.
- Saute on low medium flame until the dal turns golden brown in colour. Add hing , mix .
- Next , add the mint leaves and saute 1-2 mins.
- Mint leaves would wilt and reduce in volume. Switch off the kadai and let the roasted ingredients cool.
- Once the ingredients have cooled, add them to a mixer grinder jar along with salt to taste , tamarind and little jaggery if you want .Add little water and grind coarsely.
- Transfer the ground Pudina Thogayal to a serving bowl . Enjoy with hot rice / dosa / idli etc.