Semiya biryani recipe with step by step pictures | how to do Semiya biryani | Easy Vermicelli Biryani
Semiya Biryani / Vermicelli Biryani / Semiya pulao – an easy , quick flavorful dish made using Vermicelli, vegetables and spices. The end result reminds us so much like maggi noodles , taste wise !! Hardly takes 10 to 15 mins to put together..
Vermicelli is one great lifesaver ingredient for mornings when you don’t have any dosa or idli batter in stock /whenever you have to fix something in a jiffy. At any given time, you can find vermicelli stocked in my pantry as it can be flavoured many ways like coconut vermicelli , vermicelli upma , Tomato sevai etc .
For today the chosen one is Vermicelli Biryani. The base masala of this is almost the same as regular biryani or simple masala pulao . A bhaji kind of masala is made using few spices , spices , veggies and later vermicelli is mixed and cooked for perfection.
As we know ,Biryani is made from rice.But rice for breakfast is a big No no in my family , Rice is meant only for lunch..So whenever i crave for biryani / pulao , i make this tasty dish. I have substituted rice with vermicelli . Call it a biryani / pulao .. the end result is too yum !!
Today’s Semiya Biryani / Vermicelli Biryani / Shavige pulao is one such variation. Perfect for breakfast / Dinner / Lunch box too.
Few points to note while making Semiya Biryani :
- Always roast the vermicelli and later use . If you are using roasted vermicelli, skip this step. Unroasted vermicelli makes the dish mushy.
- Don’t over cook vermicelli else the dish becomes mushy. 4-5 mins is good enough .
- I usually use Anil roasted semiya. Some of the other brands commonly used are Bambino , MTR .
- Some of the veggies that goes well for this dish – beans , carrot , peas , corn , baby corn , knol khol , cauliflower etc. You can use whichever you have handy.
- If you want you can add around 2-4 tbsp coconut milk / curd while sauteing the veggies for extra flavour.
- You can use either use garam masala powder / biryani powder / pav bhaji masala / kitchen king masala . You can use whichever you have or orefer taste.
So are you ready to make a note of this tasty Vermicelli biryani .. here you go
Vermicelli Biryani / Semiya Biryani
- 2 cup Vermicelli
- 1 big Onion, chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 2-3 nos Green Chilli, slit
- 2 medium size Tomato, chopped
- 1 medium size Capsicum , chopped
- 1 cup Mixed Veggies , chopped
- few sprigs Coriander leaves, chopped
- 8-10 leaves Mint leaves
- 1/4 tsp Haldi / turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder / Biryani Masala / Kitchen King Masala / Pav Bhaji Masala
- 1/2 Lemon
- 2-3 tbsp Oil / Oil + Ghee
- 1 no Bay Leaf
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds / Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Saunf / fennel seeds
- 2 nos Cardamom / Elaichi
- 1 inch piece Cinnamon/ dalchini
- 3-4 nos Cloves/ Lavang
I usually use roasted Anil Vermicelli . Hence no need to roast them again. If it's un roasted Bambino vermicelli , add a tsp of ghee and roast till crisp and aromatic. Keep aside to use later.
Heat Oil + Ghee . Add Bay leaf , Jeera , Saunf and crushed whole spices ( in a mortar pestle , slightly crush cinnamon , cardamom and cloves ) .
Add Onion , Ginger garlic paste and green chilli . Saute till translucent.
Once onion are translucent , add chopped tomatoes , capsicum , salt and haldi . Saute till tomatoes are mushy.
Next add mixed veggies which ever you have handy or like . I have added beans, carrot, peas , cauliflower Saute 1-2 mins.
Add red chilli powder and garam masala powder / biryani masala / pav bhaji masala. Saute 1-2 mins.
Once veggies and masala s are mixed well, add water . Bring to boil . Around 1: 2 ratio is what i follow .
When water is boiling , add chopped coriander leaves and squeeze lime. If you have mint add that too.
When water is boiling nicely , Add roasted vermicelli . Mix nicely.
- Cover and cook for 4-5 mins.
Enjoy Vermicelli Pulao hot .