TOMATO POHA RECIPE | TOMATO POHA RECIPE WITH STEP BY STEP PHOTOS | HOW TO DO TOMATO POHA | THAKKALI AVAL RECIPE WITH STEP BY STEP PHOTOS | TOMATO AVALAKKI
Tomato Poha Recipe – a quick, spicy, tangy and easy to make dish … that’s a perfect option to serve any time of the day. Pair it up with some raita.. a bowl of hot steaming Tomato avalakki is all gone ..That’s how flavorful and delicious it is. Hardly takes 15 mins to make. Sound’s interesting right?
Poha is one great lifesaver ingredient for mornings when you don’t have any dosa or idli batter in stock /whenever you have to fix something in a jiffy. At any given time, you can find poha stocked in my pantry as it can be flavoured many ways like Avalakki Pongal , Huli Avalakki , Gojju Avalakki , Avalakki Upkari etc and I love each of them. For today the chosen one is Tomato Poha. The base masala of this is almost the same as Tomato rice . A bhaji kind of masala is made using tomatoes, veggies and few spices and later mixed with soaked drained poha.
Few things to note while making tomato poha are :
- Use thick poha only and don’t soak it. Just wash well and drain. We will be sprinkling little water and cooking it for about 10 mins later. This way poha absorbs flavours well.
- One can add veggies or skip based on your preference and availability.
- Some of the veggies that you can are finely chopped beans, carrot, capsicum, peas, corn etc.
- In the below recipe, I have used mint for extra flavour. If you have use.. else skip or can even use kasoori methi.
TOMATO POHA RECIPE / TOMATO AVALAKKI RECIPE / THAKKALI AVAL
- 2 cups Poha / Beaten Rice / Avalakki, thick variety must
- 1 no onion, chopped
- 3 nos Tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Green peas / Matar
- 1 medium size Carrot, ( optional)
- 1 no Green Capsicum, chopped
- 2-3 no Green Chilli, slit
- 2-3 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small piece Ginger, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder /Haldi
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala powder
- few Pudina / Mint leaves, optional
- few Coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 3-4 tsp Oil
- 1 no Bay leaf / Tej pata
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds saunf
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds / jeera
- Wash the Poha in water and drain it using a strainer and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a Kadai. Add bay leaf , saunf and jeera . Let it crackle.
- Add chopped onion, ginger garlic, green chilli and green peas. Saute for 2-3 mins till raw smell goes.
- Add in chopped tomatoes, saute till it becomes mushy. Add little salt while sauteing .. speeds up the process of cooking.
- Once the tomatoes are mushy, add capsicumchopped carrot , few pudina leaves, Haldi, salt, red chilli powder and garam masala powder. Saute for a minute.
- Add in the drained poha and mix everything gently.
- Sprinkle little water, cover it with a lid and let it cook for 5-10 minutes or until the poha is cooked completely. Once done, garnish with coriander leaves, mix well and turn off the heat.
- Enjoy the Tomato Poha hot as such or with raita.