Tomato Omelette Recipe with step by step photo | Eggless Vegetarian Omelette Recipe with step by step photo | Besan ka cheela
Tomato Omelette is a delicious vegetarian version of omelette loaded with tomato, onion, capsicum and few spices. It’s super easy, tasty and the best part.. breakfast is ready in just 15 mins !! Enjoy it hot with some chutney and sauce and your all set !!
I am sure many of you are wondering an Omelette Without Eggs? Vegetarian Omelette? Confused ?? Frankly, I too was when I heard about them very 1st time. I was introduced to this dish after marriage through my hubby. One day, he asked me – ” Can you make tomato omelette sometime? “.
We being hardcore vegetarians, was so surprised to hear omelette from his mouth. Egg is a big no-no for us except for cakes. Later he explained to me that although they are called an omelette, there are no eggs involved in the dish. I had never heard of a ‘besan dosa like thing’ until then. Then i browsed a few sites and learnt them. Now over the years, this vegan Gluten-free omelette has been a regular on my menu, it is so easy to put together and the end result would be always tasty…
Most of the people from and around Maharashtra might know this simple and tasty vegetarian omelette. Basically, they are made with gram flour, tomatoes, onions and Indian herbs & spices. Simple and easy to make, it can be put together in less than 15 mins and is a good rescue for bachelor cooking or to serve at-the-drop-of-hat guests or for busy morning breakfasts. Its very filling and protein-rich. Another thing I love about this omelette is that they are extremely versatile. You can change the veggies you add to it. Off to the recipe… Hope you enjoy Tomato Omelette Recipe as much as I did … remember to relish hot !!
I had earlier shared Bread Besan Toast, the batter of that and this toast is almost similar . Both the places besan / gramflour is the major ingredient which is then spiced and flavored as per ones choice.
Few points to note while making Tomato Omelette :
- Enjoy hot else it gets soggy and hard after cooling
- You can stuff these omelettes and relish.
- To make it more healthy .. you can add few strands of chopped spinach or other herbs.
- If you like more simpler , you can skip few spices like kasoori methi , garam masala etc.
VEGETARIAN TOMATO OMELETTE
- 1 cup Gram Flour / Besan
- 2 Tbsp Rice flour
- 2 medium size tomato, finely chopped
- 1 medium size onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium size capsicum, finely chopped
- 2 - 3 Green Chilli, finely chopped
- few strings coriander / cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Haldi / Turmeric
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder / dhania powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder / jeera powder
- 1/4 tsp Ajwain seeds / oma
- 1/4 tsp Kasoori methi, (optional)
- as required Salt
- as required Oil, for cooking the omelette
- Preparing the batter:
- in a big mixing bowl : Add finely chopped Onion , tomato , capsicum , green Chilli and Coriander leaves .
- To the veggies, add salt to taste , haldi , red chilli powder , dhania powder , jeera powder , ajwain and kasoori methi ( if adding ) .
- Mix all the ingredients together .
- Now add besan and rice flour .
- Slowly add water,little by little at a time. Mix well so that there are no lumps in the batter.
- The consistency of the batter should be medium ( like a thick milk shake)
- Heat a tawa or non-stick pan. Grease it with few drops of oil or butter.
- Pour a ladle of batter at the centre and spread evenly to form almost round pancake. Add some oil drops on the edges & top of the omelette. Cover it with the lid and allow to cook .Cook on medium heat.
- When it is cooked and is brown in color on 1 side , flip over and cook the other side.
- Cook the tomato omelette till both sides are cooked and the edges crisp.
- Serve hot tomato omelettes with some coriander chutney or tomato sauce. You can also place them between 2 toasted bread slices and relish them as sandwich.