Hibiscus Tambuli | Hibiscus Thambli recipe | Hibiscus Flower recipes
” Hibiscus Tambuli / Dasavala Thambli ” is one healthy, tasty and very rustic coastal Karnataka dish which is relished with rice. It is a great natural body cooler. Cooling body naturally with natural cooling food is the best way to beat the heat especially during summer .. this dish falls into that category .
What is Thambli ??
Let me introduce you all to the humble dish ” Thambli “. Its a coastal Karnataka speciality dish. Tamblis are not spicy, greasy or heavy. Instead, they are lite, mild, medicinal and soothing. It’s a perfect summer food as it helps in keeping your body cool and aids digestion. It is served cold with hot rice and eaten right at the beginning in a typical Dakshin Kannada meal. Few drink them as coolants too. Basically, Tambli is a thin yoghurt based curry made by grinding a herb/vegetable/greens/fruits/spices along with coconut and chillies and mixed with buttermilk and finally topped with a simple tempering. Few of them are not even cooked. They taste different depending on what it’s made out of. These are some of the easiest rice accompaniment that can be prepared in a jiffy.
We make various kinds of tambli in our home like Methi Thambli , Ajwain leaf tambli , Palak tambli, Dhania Seeds Tambli etc, this is something I grew up eating.. recipes passed from 1 generation to the other. I have never found tamblis in any of the restaurants. Publishing simple, easy,home-cooked vegetarian dishes serves the sole purpose of this blog.
Why is Hibsicus Tambuli healthy ??
Hero of the day for today’s tambli is Hibiscus / Dasavala. As per Ayurveda, Hibiscus has got a lot of health benefits like:
- These flowers are very good for summer as they have great cooling property.
- These flowers are rich in vitamins , minerals and fibre.Hence they are good for people suffering from constipation or piles.
- It’s good for women suffering from menstrual or bleeding problems.
- Since Hibiscus leaves and flowers are rich in antioxidant, they are good for high blood pressure and cholesterol.
There are many traditional recipes using Hibiscus like Chutney, gojju , dosa , hibiscus tea etc . So next time you get few hibiscus flowers , you know it’s not limited just for your hair mask and oil but can also make few interesting dishes like hibiscus tambuli , Dosa , tea etc .. Here you go !!
But for today let’s see how to make dasavala tambli . Some people grind the flower and add it to tambli , but i don’t like the slimy texture it gives and hence make this way . Do try and enjoy !!
- 10-12 nos Hibiscus
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup Coconut
- 1 no Green chilli
- 1 cup Curd / Butter milk
- 1-2 tsp Ghee
- 1/4 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds / Jeera
- few Curry Leaves
- 1 no Sun dried Curd Chilli / Sandige Menasu
- Pluck and pick fresh red hibiscus flowers.
- Separate the green region and centre pistil region of the flower.
- Like this we will be using only petals of the flower.
- Wash the flowers nicely. Make sure there are no ants or dirt.
- Chop the petals finely.
- Transfer to a bowl. Add a tsp of salt.
- Mash it nicely using a spoon or hand. Let it leave out juices.
- To a blender, add Coconut, green chilli and curd.
- Grind smooth.
- Transfer the ground masala to the squeezed hibiscus petals.
- Mix nicely. Add curd / water, if required and adjust the consistency.
- Now prepare a tempering. Add ghee to a small frying pan. Splutter Mustard , Jeera. Add few curry leaves and broken curd chilli. Saute till they are crisp . Add this to the hibiscus thambuli
- Hibiscus Tambli is ready ready to relish with rice.