Today i have colorful and yummilicious chutney for you all ” Sweet Potato Chutney “. Its known as genasina chutney in Kannada .This sweet potato chutney is quick , easy to prepare and a nice change from the regular coconut / tomato chutneys.
I learnt this sweet potato chutney in one of the facebook groups . when i read the recipe .. i was sure it would turn good . So bookmarked to try once . When i did .everyone in my family liked it and no one could find the presence of sweet potato in it . You can make this chutney with or without coconut too.Quick and easy to prepare and a nice change from the regular chutneys. Do give a try .. here you go…
SWEET POTATO CHUTNEY RECIPE / GENASINA CHUTNEY
- 1 cup Sweet Potato / Genasu, grated
- 2 tsp Black Gram /split Urad Dal
- 1 tsp Bengal Gram /split Chana Dal
- 3-5 Dried Red Chilli, as per pref
- a pinch of Asafoetida/ hing
- small goosberry / amla size Tamarind
- salt to taste
- few Curry Leaves
- 1 tsp Cooking oil
- 1-2 tsp Coconut Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- few Curry Leaves
Wash , peel and grate sweet potato
Heat oil in a kadai. When the oil is hot, add urad dal, chana dal, hing ,curry leaves and red chillies .Fry on a medium heat, till dal turns golden. Take out on a plate to cool
Transfer the fried masala, grated sweet potato ,coconut ,tamarind and salt to a mixer / blender. Grind to a smooth paste...but don't make super smooth. Taste test .
- Prepare the tempering .Heat oil in a small pan. When oil is hot, add mustard and curry leaves. Now pour this tempering on grounded chutney .
Serve sweet potato chutney with hot rice / idli / dosa / chapathi etc . Stays good for 3-4 days in fridge .
- If you don't like hing , you can flavor the chutney with little onion / ginger . Add few pieces of it while roasting masala. Fry well and grind. But i would prefer roasting with hing ...
- I use coconut oil for this ..
- Don't make this chutney too paste like texture.